Although candles are a big part of holiday decorations and traditions, they also create an increased risk of house fires if they are not properly monitored.The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department is urging people to be careful so December festivities do not turn into disaster.
The department’s overall candle safety advice is to never leave a burning candle unattended or within reach of children and pets. Other recommendations include always placing them on heat resistant locations, and avoiding plastic surfaces. In addition, be sure to keep scented candles in a glass or metal container they can very quickly turn into liquid as they burn, and can spill easily.
A shorter wick can keep the candle burning at a slower rate, which helps mitigate the amount of smoke and cuts down the chances of a volatile flame, says the department. Of course, residents also need to remember to put out the candle before leaving the room or falling asleep.
Even with proper precautions, candles are still to blame for many fatal fires every year, meaning that residents should be prepared with life insurance in the event of an unforeseen tragedy.