A history of heart disease can not only effect your health, but can also make applying for life insurance extremely difficult. This is why experts suggest eating plenty of produce to help prevent any serious heart condition from developing.
For example, the benefits of substances like grapes, red wine, green tea and blueberries have long been touted as heart-healthy. More recently, data is suggesting that cranberry juice may also offer cardiovascular benefits.
The Ocean Spray cranberry company is highlighting a new study from Queen Mary University of London which found that cranberries contain components that help cut down on the constriction of blood vessels while also helping to increase the circulation of so-called “good” cholesterol through the body.
Given the many heart benefits that can be found in different fruits and vegetables, including those mentioned above, the American Heart Association (AHA) offers the following tips:
- Top of your already favorite foods with either fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables
- Make it a point to try fruits and vegetables of different colors
- Berries are full of antioxidants
- Oranges and tomotoes supply a healty dose of Vitamin C.
- Try roasting vegetables to enhance their natural sweetness and reduce bitterness.
- Use produce for dipping, smoothies and desserts to further incorporate them into your diet.
- Swap out desserts that are rich in calories and fat with 100% fruit juice popsicles
According to the AHA, it is recommended to eat at least eight servings of fruits and vegetables every day, which for the average adult consuming around 2,000 calories a day amount to 4.5 cups of produce.
The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute offers produce recipes that you and your family may experiment including several kid-tested recipes that will help your children develop a more healthy attitude towards fruits and vegetables. Emphasizing fruits and vegetables is key to better nutrition.
All of these minor adjustments to your diet can sufficiently improve your health and increase longevity. With life insurance rates at an low-time low, it is important to monitor and improve your current health status in order to secure the best rate.