- Home » Life Insurance, Personal Stories, Tips, Videos » Snow blockage may cause carbon monoxide build up
- Snow blockage may cause carbon monoxide build up
- December 13, 2010 8:08 AM
High snow drifts may cause increased levels of carbon monoxide to develop inside of a home, according to the New York State Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services.
The New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control issued a safety alert on Friday after receiving a spike in calls about carbon monoxide detectors being set off in homes.
High snow drifts may be blocking furnace vents and air intakes, causing the colorless, odorless gas to become trapped inside of a home, said State Fire Administrator Floyd Madison. Some higher efficiency furnaces may automatically disable the furnace when vents are blocked, he said.
A clogged furnace can cause carbon monoxide to go back inside the home instead of filtering out, which is why the homeowners are encouraged to keep a three-foot area around vents clear of obstructions such as packed snow or shrubbery.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include confusion, dizziness, chest pain and nausea, while high levels can cause loss of consciousness and death, which is why it is important to have a secure life insurance policy in case of a sudden winter-time accident.
This article was originally published by Life Quotes, Inc.
- Category: Life Insurance, Personal Stories, Tips, Videos
Life Insurance Quotes
Leave a Reply