- Life insurance to cover a risky job
- June 26, 2015
Five steps you can take to weigh your disability insurance options
1. Nothing: You can do nothing and trust that your job and the government will take care of you in case you get hurt. Your job might, after you fill out paperwork, talk to HR, file an incidence report, wait for the report to clear and then see if you qualify, according to the American Council of Life Insurers.
2. Individual Disability Protection: According to the American Council of Life Insurers, Individual policies typically cover both occupational and non-occupational accidents and sickness for a selected period of time. Personal disability insurance is something you can take with you from job to job and can make up for any limitations in your job’s coverage. If your job qualifies for individual disability coverage, your policy can vary based on what premiums, waiting periods and benefits you specifically wish to have.
3. Social Security: Government disability programs exist for the uninsured, and they are the reason taxes get taken out of every paycheck. Social Security will provide long-term disability benefits based on salary, number of years worked and total contributions to its program, but it replaces a limited portion of salary. The qualifications to receive benefits can be very strict, according to the Social Security Administration.
4. State-funded disability programs: The Social Security Administration notes that depending on your state, there may be some limited resources available for workmen’s compensation programs for work-related injuries or illnesses that offer rehabilitation programs.
5. Specialty Programs: There are even more limited programs for injured veterans, federal and state government employees, and other assorted industries like railroad employees, miners who develop illnesses like black lung disease and possibly people who suffer from work-related conditions like mesothelioma.Pages: 1 2 3 4
- Category: Disability Insurance, Featured Articles, Featured Story, Life Insurance, Videos
Life Insurance Quotes
Leave a Reply