Male   Female
  • Life insurance to cover a risky job
  • June 26, 2015
  • risky job life insuranceBy

    If you have a risky job, then you might want to buy insurance to decrease how risky your life is. We are not talking about signing up for a basic insurance policy work provides, then skipping along to your hazardous occupation. We are talking about contacting a high-risk specialist and buying some individual life insurance and disability insurance to protect your family if you die before winning employee of the month.

    There are a number of industries categorized as high-risk, from farming to timber, and fishing to flying and construction. Basically, if there is a chance something at work could crush you, drown you, blow you up or make you critically ill, you need more than a standard insurance policy. Life insurance guarantees your family will not be left financially destitute in the event of your death, but unless your job has some sweet disability benefits, it is best to purchase additional insurance just to be safe.

    In the past, the cost for individual life insurance for those who work in a risky environment often came at a steep price, but Ryan Pinney, brokerage director at Pinney Insurance Center Inc. in Roseville, Calif., said insurance companies have become more competitive when it comes to pricing a policy that covers a hazardous profession.

    “We routinely survey life insurance companies about changes to the most common vocational high-risk situations (SWAT team, explosives handler, etc.),” Pinney said. “The way companies rate a vocational hazard is usually pretty consistent, but every once in a while someone will make a major change related to their underwriting procedures to compete in the market.”

    When it comes to certain professions, Pinney said, the risky business can fall into a hazardous avocation (hobby) category, or overlooked due to the job’s title. For example, a member of the SWAT team would most likely put down “law enforcement” or “police” as his profession, and would not typically be rated by an insurance company. Similarly, explosives handlers for building construction and demolition may fall into the “construction worker” category and be rated accordingly.

    Pages: 1 2 3 4

  • Category: Disability Insurance, Featured Articles, Featured Story, Life Insurance, Videos

Leave a Reply



Consumer Insurance Guide SM provides a wide selection of originally-authored articles and expert advice targeted to the self-directed insurance shopper. Our mission is to provide consumers with useful, money-saving information on all things having to do with making sound insurance purchase decisions.

Consumer Insurance Guide SM is owned by Life Quotes, Inc. 8205 South Cass Avenue, Darien, IL. For editorial, content feeds, advertising and lead purchase opportunities, contact Robert Bland, Publisher at

Life Quotes, Inc. owns and operates and, two online consumer insurance information services that cater to the needs of self-directed insurance shoppers.

About Us  |   Contact Us  |   Press Releases  |   The Best Privacy Policy  |   Life Insurance  |   Careers
For Agents & Brokers  |   Site Map  |  

Copyright ©1984-2015 Life Quotes, Inc., 8205 South Cass Avenue, Suite 102, Darien, Illinois. Life Quotes, Inc. and certain of its personnel are licensed as insurance agents, brokers or producers in all states. CA agent #0A13858, LA agent #200696, MA agent #333509159. dba Life Quotes Insurance Services in CA under agent #0827712, in LA under agent #205078. dba Life Quotes Insurance Services, Inc. in UT under agent #90093. All rights reserved. Telephone (630) 515-0170. Founded 1984.